Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Water Kefir

Water kefir grains (also known as Sugar Kefir Grains or Tibicos) allow for the fermentation of sugar water or juice to create a carbonated lacto-fermented beverage. Incredibly easy to brew, the starter culture can create a new batch of kefir every 24-48 hours. This makes a fantastic non-dairy alternative to milk kefir and can be flavored after brewing to make a variety of delicious sodas.

For more detailed information about what they exactly are Click Here.
To know their exact composition Click Here.

My Husband took his first sip of water Kefir and concluded "Now I know exactly how you were staying so happily without me the past 1 month. You were busy making home made beer and drinking it." LOL. Actually it does taste a bit alcoholic, much like beer(esp the one I make using Jaggery). I have not had much alcohol since I got pregnant with my daughter, so this is quite a thing for me. I love it anyways!




We started Water Kefir after 1 year of doing the SCD diet.


Water Kefir that I made using Kefir Grains,Spring Water, Himalayan Salt and Jaggery.
 Dont know what Jaggery is? Cick Here.


Water Kefir Grains.
The typical recipe for Water Kefir is:
  • 4 cups Spring water.
  • 4 Tbsp Sugar.
  • 4 Tbsp Kefir Grains.
  • 1/8 th Tsp Himalayan salt/ pure sea salt.
Process:
  • Mix all the above ingredients and let them stand for 48 hours.
  • After 48 hours strain the mixture through a nylon strainer to seperate the kefir grains.
  • If you want a fizzy carbonated drink, keep the liquid in an air tight container for another 24-48 hours.

My Kefir Supply for just 2 days :)




Enjoy Your Kefir and feel good and happy! :)

14 comments:

Carrie Houston said...

HI!

I came across your blog after I googled "SCD Water Kefir". I was curious if it really is "legal" since it is made with sugar. I know the kefir feeds off the sugar but am wondering how it is legal on the SCD. I have been doing SCD for about 2 months now so I'm still learning :)

Thank you!

Sudeshna Sur Ghosh/ Sudeshna Sur Choudhury said...

Hi Carrie,

I know it is not mentioned anywhere if Water Kefir is legal. What I do is, I ferment it long enough till all the sweetness is absolutely gone(2 to 3 days)and then add some pureed strawberries/ lemon(after filtering out the Kefir grains) for taste and let it stand for some more time. We have had no issues. We started water Kefir after a year of doing the SCD diet. Hope this helps! Good Luck! :)

Carrie Houston said...

Thank you so much! I'll try it out and see how I do. Your blog looks amazing - I'm glad I found you! :)

Sudeshna Sur Ghosh/ Sudeshna Sur Choudhury said...

You are Welcome Carrie :)

Sudeshna Sur Ghosh/ Sudeshna Sur Choudhury said...

and thanks for liking my blog. I am still quite new.

Carrie Houston said...

Oooh, I just made your coconut-banana dibs. DELICIOUS! That is a good sweet treat for me - I can't do nut flours very often because they bother me so this will be a nice treat to satisfy my sweet tooth :)

Sudeshna Sur Ghosh/ Sudeshna Sur Choudhury said...

I am glad you liked them Carrie:). We dont do a lot of nut flours either. I get very gassy. For desserts I also eat baked apples sweetened with honey(although I like to keep the amount of honey very limited in a day)..we do a lot of GAPS nutrition too like drinking bone and meat broths and using them as soup base, which has been especially helpful in the healing process.
Simple recipes make it easier for us to stay on the diet :)
Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Hello, This looks so delicious. But where can I buy water kefir grains, please help!
Thank you!

Sudeshna Sur Ghosh/ Sudeshna Sur Choudhury said...

Hi, I got my Water kefir grains from Amazon.Hope that helps :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I will buy some today! How do you keep them alive for reuse?
xoxo,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I will buy some today! How do you keep them alive for reuse?
xoxo,
Michelle

Sudeshna Sur Ghosh/ Sudeshna Sur Choudhury said...

I keep them alive by keeping them in sugar water/maple syrup in the refrigerator.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sudeshna!
xo

Sudeshna Sur Ghosh/ Sudeshna Sur Choudhury said...

You are very welcome :)