Thursday, September 29, 2011

Finding my way back to Dance...The Joy of Bharatnatyam.

Bharatnatyam..a very old Indian classical dance form. My passion since I was a child. I am so lucky to have found Arpan Arts and my Guru Dr Joyce Paul Poursabahian here in Seattle. For a while I have been wanting to get back to dancing but could not find the right path.One fine day I opened Google and searched with the keywords "Bharatnatyam" "Seattle" and there she was. I had never heard her name in the past from anyone. I knew right away she is the one for me. She is my Guru.I emailed her and she promptly replied me back asking me to come over and watch one of her classes. I loved loved loved her studio and her way of teaching and I danced with her students. I was excited beyond words, I wanted to join that same class very badly and that too from the very next week. I was determined I will not take 'NO' for an answer. Where else could I learn authentic Kalakshetra style Bharatnatyam? Finding it just 8 miles from my house was a dream come true! Whatever I learned in the past was at Agartala, where every thing was translated in Bengali and 20 kids would dance together in one room while our mothers waited outside sweating under the shade of the trees on hot Sunday afternoons. Hers was a luxurious studio compared to that. It had heaters and big mirrors and the best part not crowded at all. Every dancer gets individual attention. I could not miss this golden opportunity.
Since then there has been no stopping.The past 6 months have been wonderful.The 2-4 hours that I dance during the week gives me all the energy to go through the toughest of things. I wait for my class all week. I am not a perfect dancer and getting back to dancing again was not easy. After my first class I was almost bed ridden. Sore joints and muscles, badly aching body...err am I growing old? I would not give up so easily. This was my only chance. I knew I had the energy in me but it was lost somewhere inside me. I geared up and started working out at least 4 times a week. And also started drinking protein shakes every morning which were too yucky and I was forced to quit after 10 days. I might not have gotten a tasty one and I was too reluctant to add sugar. Anyways, slowly  my energy levels increased and now I can manage well in a 2 hour dancing session :) Not a bad start for a mother of one.
I still have a long long way to go but I am determined this time..I WILL GET THERE!

The welcome by Arpan members was warm and very touching. Everyone celebrated my 28th Birthday. I felt so special :)
Cutting my Birthday Cake with the Arpan Kuttys. Photo Courtesy: Dr Joyce Paul Poursabahian

On my Birthday with my Guru.P.S. please ignore the redness on my face. This pic was taken after a long dance rehersal. Photo Courtesy: Dr Joyce Paul Poursabahian
I was also given the chance to perform in Ehsaas 2011, Arpan's Annual Day. The faith that my Guru showed on me was an incredible boost, not only in terms of dancing but as a person too. My self confidence increased and I love myself more than ever. A happy mother makes a happy family :) It is almost like I got a new Life. I will be ever grateful to my Guru for what she gave me.

Some pics from the show :

A sequence from "Bholi Re".Photo Courtesy: Chi Shen.

The Gopis see lord Krishna in their dahi ka matka. Photo Courtesy: Chi Shen.

A sequence from Pushpanjali. Photo Courtesy : Archana Srinivasan.


With my Galpal Archu who was there throughout to support me. Photo Courtesy: Archana Srinivasan.


Thank you Joyce Didi for helping me find myself.

May the Dance never stop. Amen!



No comments: