Saturday, October 15, 2011

The newest addition to my Trail Mix, Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.

When I was younger(not that I am old now :)), I mean college days, things that I used to carry in my purse except wallet and cell phone would be lipstick, a compact, a small little mirror, a comb, a few extra hair pins and clips, kajal. Touch ups were required every now and then.  Now things that I carry in my purse are 1 or 2 bananas, an apple, Burt's bee lipbalm, and some trail mix . I have changed over the years, well for good. I go without makeup most of the time and concentrate on my health and well being. The way I look dosent bother me anymore. I know if I keep eating well and dont take my youth for granted, I will always look good. My Mom is my biggest inspiration. She is 58 and believe me her skin is silky smooth and she has almost no wrinkles! Yes, she has a very good eating habit. I want to look and feel beautiful too when I get to that age :). 30 years is not too far away!

Ok, coming back to the topic, I always get my trail mix from Whole Foods Trail Mix Bar. The other day I saw roasted pumpkin seeds that tasted really good. That reminded me of my dearest Grandmom who used to collect the seeds and roast them and use them as a snack or put in other vegeterian dishes. I wanted to make my own roasted Pumpkin seeds right then! So I got this pumpkin, took out the seeds, roasted them and added to my fav trail mix combo. I cooked the pumpkin in Indian style for my Hubby who loves pumpkins.

Pumpkin seeds are very healthy and full of nutrition. Here are the nutrition facts.


Ingredients:
  1. 1 Whole Pumpkin.
  2. Butter.
  3. Salt and seasoning.
Process:
  • Cut the pumpkin into 2 halves.
  • Now with a spoon scoop out all the seeds.
  • Wash the seeds throughly.
  • Wrap them into paper towels/ let dry completely.
  • Heat the oven to around 170 degrees.
  • Spread the dried pumpkin seeds evenly on a cookie sheet and put in the oven.
  • Let them roast for 20/25 minuites.
  • Taste one of the seeds, if you want them crunchier put it back in the oevn for some more time.
  • After they are done, add salt and your fav seasoning.
  • Can add a little butter too(if desired).
  • Add to your favourite trail mix.
  • Enjoy! :)

No comments: